When I first said I would stick to a plant based diet I thought about having to say goodbye to my favorite dishes… brown stew chicken.
But, I found a way to eat this dish without any of the guilt! Replace the chicken with a vegan option. In this case we’re using seitan, but you can use anything you want for your brown stew.
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
Vegan Brown Stew Chicken Seitan
- 1 small red bell pepper
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- ⅓ red chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup seitan slices
- Chop onion, garlic, chili pepper and ginger and combine in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients to create a marinade.
- Allow mixture to marinate for at least 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, add oil to pot and cook only the seitan from the marinade on medium heat until it becomes crispy.
- Once seitan is cooked, remove from pot and add everything in the marinade to the pot and cook for a few minutes on low heat.
- Add water to the pot and bring to a boil, then cover and allow to simmer for an hour.
- After an hour, bring off heat and serve seitan with brown stew gravy.