I see so many french toast recipes using breads that nobody ever really has in their kitchen, at least not on a regular basis. So, I made it a mission to make the best french toast recipe that works on regular old sandwich bread (you know the kind that you always have and never really know what to do with).
I’m using potato bread, but any type of bread works here. A good trick to avoid soggy french toast is to not allow the bread slice to fully be submerged in the mix. The dip should be a quick one, two, and you should allow any excess mix to drip off before placing the slice on the pan.
You also need to make sure that you have enough butter on your pan for each slice! That is the secret to perfectly golden french toast.
For extra crunchy french toast, cook the french toast until the edges are brown and allow to cool before serving.
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
Eggless French Toast Recipe
- ¼ cup flour all-purpose
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 slices bread
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp syrup
- Combine all ingredients together besides the butter and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon butter on a pan at medium to high heat.
- Quickly dip both sides of bread into batter, never fully submerging the bread in the batter.
- Drip off extra batter and place dipped bread onto buttered pan.
- Cook for a couple minutes, until the bread has developed an even golden brown color.
- Flip, and do the same on the other side.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat steps 2-6 for the remaining pieces of bread.
- Allow french toast to cool before cutting or serving.