Fried rice has always been my favorite takeout treat, so I decided to make a vegetable stir-fry my way. This one has a bunch of fresh veggies and a plant based scrambled egg!
I used julienned carrots, scallions, and green peas in my vegetable fried rice. You can use any and as many vegetables as you’d like, I just used what I had on hand.
Asian culture is more vegetable focused, with dishes developing from produce they had on hand to use up old ingredients. This was exactly the case when it came to the development of fried rice; it’s a dish made to incorporate leftovers. If you were to order fried rice in a restaurant now you’d be given the option of several proteins, whereas traditionally this dish was created to incorporate whatever leftovers were lying around.
I substituted the egg in a traditional fried rice with vegan mung bean egg. I have a recipe for it here. It works just as a scrambled egg mixture would.
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
Better Than Takeout Vegetable Fried Rice
Better than takeout stir-fry with fresh vegetables & plant based scrambled egg.
- ½ carrot
- ½ cup cooked green beans
- 1 scallion
- ¼ cup vegan yellow split pea egg
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp all purpose seasoning
- ½ tsp ginger powder or 1 inch fresh ginger
- ½ tsp garlic or 2 cloves fresh garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, cook vegan egg until it is a scrambled consistency.
- Add vegetables and fresh aromatics and cook for a minute and then add rice.
- Add the remaining ingredients all at once except the water and the soy sauce. You want to slowly add these two liquids as your frying and stirring your rice.
- Check for salt and pepper at this point. Once liquid is absorbed take pan off the heat and serve.