This recipe is inspired by Greek dish called Keftedes. “Kofta is a family of meatball or meatloaf dishes found in the Indian subcontinent, South Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Balkan, and Central Asian cuisines. In the simplest form, koftas consist of balls of minced or ground meat—usually beef, chicken, lamb, or pork—mixed with spices or onions.”
I decided to make my own version of these Keftedes in plant based version, that’s still delicious and full of flavor like traditional Keftedes.
This plant based meatball recipe is great because it yields a meatball that develops a crispy outside layer, making the texture more similar to a traditional meatball.
These koftedes developed great flavors and I have to admit it is because of this spice seasoning I picked up at the store.
These meatballs would work well with just about any bean, I just used black eyed peas because I like the color and the texture it provides in a vegan meatball.
I noticed that these meatballs are best the next day! I swear.
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
Vegan Greek Meatballs Keftedes
- 1½ cups cooked black eyed peas
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 flax egg
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp all purpose greek seasoning
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until your mixture is roughly chopped.
- Form your meatballs and place formed meatballs in fridge for 25 minutes.
- Baked the meatballs in the oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees.
- After an hour, remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with lemon tahini dressing. Enjoy!