Spicy crab roll is the favorite sushi roll of my friend from work. We work next to a couple sushi restaurants so we always order out while on shift. I can’t even tell you how many rolls I’ve eaten at work! I’ve tried many rolls in my day, but she put me onto the spicy crab roll. If you’ve never had it and you like spicy tuna rolls, you’ll like this.
This recipe calls for imitation crab, which you can substitute with real crab if you got it like that, or with something like heart of palm to make it vegan. You can find imitation crab at your local supermarket in the fish section. Imitation crab is a product that uses fish meat to imitate shellfish meat since crab meat can be quite expensive, and it’s actually what most sushi restaurants use in their crab rolls!
For the sticky rice, make sure you make it with sushi rice. It is the only way it will stick to the wraps, and let me tell you that rice is sticky! Besides that, only other special ingredient needed is rice vinegar.
Making sushi isn’t easy the first time, but just like everything else you get better with practice. Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
Spicy Crab Sushi Roll Using Imitation Crab
- 1 nori seaweed wrap
- 1/2 cup cooked sticky sushi rice
- 5 imitation crab legs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tsp siracha, or cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, flake the imitation crab legs and add mayonessaise, siracha, and salt and pepper.
- Lay out the wrap with the rougher side facing you. Using your fingertips, add the rice to the wrap to and press down evenly.
- Once the whole wrap is covered in rice, turn over and place the crab mixture on the wrap in a straight line.
- Using parchment paper, roll the wrap around tight and tucked.
- Slice through using a sharp knife, dipping in water in between cuts. Serve!