I remember my mom would always buy those frozen taquitos from costco and I was always so obsessed with them. I’m talking like, I’d finish a box every weekend! And the were BIG boxes because you know, costco. They were so addicting, so I decided to make my own and share my recipe with you.
If you don’t know about taquitos, also known as rolled tacos, or flauta and tacos dorados in the streets of mexico, then let me brighten your day with this delicious Mexican dish. A taquito typically consists of a small rolled-up tortilla that contains filling, including beef, cheese or chicken. The filled tortilla is then crisp-fried or deep-fried and the dish is often topped with condiments like sour cream and guacamole. It’s similar to tacos and quesadillas, but it’s different which is great because those can get boring. Taquitos are a great way to spice up your Taco Tuesday menu!
So, next time you’re craving Mexican food and you have some corn tortillas on hand, try this recipe for taquitos. You can substitute the oil and pan in this recipe with either an air fryer at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or an oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
Shredded Chicken Taquitos
Taquitos are a great way to spice up your Taco Tuesday menu!
- 15 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp adobo
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 cups frying oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream, optional
- cojita cheese, optional
- parsley, optional
- In a deep pan, heat oil on low to medium heat.
- One at a time, cook the tortillas in the oil for 3 second and then remove from oil and let cool. Set oil aside for later step.
- In a small pan on low heat add onion, garlic, bell pepper, chicken adobo, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft then remove from heat.
- To assemble the taquitos, place a tortilla on your cutting board and place a spoonful of you chicken mixture on the bottom half of the tortilla.
- From the bottom side of the tortilla (the side closest to you), begin rolling (making sure the filling is tight by tucking) until you have a tight rolled taquito. Do the same for each tortilla.
- In the deep pot with oil, cook the taquitos at low to medium heat until they’re golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream, cojita cheese, and parsley.