Empanadas are a staple for get togethers and barbecues. They’re most amazing when they’re hot, fresh, and flaky. But… sometimes there are not so great emapanadas at the cookout. Don’t be the person who orders a pan of soggy, skimpy empanadas from that one place. Do something different and try making your own.
This recipe is so simple and only takes a few ingredients to make. Everybody always thinks that empanadas are very difficult to make, the concept of an empanada is straight forward, you fill, fold, and press. The only part you want to make sure you’re not screwing up on is preparing the dough. Here’s a video on exactly how to execute this recipe.
It’s a very simple technique, so don’t go buy store brought dough (but you do you). I also always thought the from scratch process was going to be super time consuming, but honesylu the most tedious part of this recipe is the waiting 30 minutes for the empanada dough to rest!
Going the extra step goes a long way with certain recipes, and this is definitely the case when it comes to empanadas. Frozen dough is no competition for fresh, homemade dough. So, with that being said, I will now be the person bringing the empanadas to the cook out!
Shredded Chicken Empanadas From Scratch Recipe
Going the extra step goes a long way with certain recipes, and this is definitely the case when it comes to empanadas.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick butter, chilled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 chicken breast, shredded
- In a bowl, mix together flour and salt.
- Once mixed, add butter and combine into flour with hands until there is no dry flour left.
- Once combined, add egg and combine with hands until a dough is created.
- Kneed dough for 5 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, separate dough into 10 pieces. Roll pieces into balls.
- Take one ball, press down to create a circle shape, and ,using a rolling pin or anything cylindrical, roll the dough until it’s flat and round.
- Add chicken filling to one half of the circle, fold the other half over the filled half, and press down the edges (on both sides) with a fork.
- Repeat steps 6 & 7 for the rest of the filling and dough.
- Add vegetable oil to a pan over low to medium heat, and add the empanadas.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides, remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel covered plate. Let cool and enjoy!
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!