Sometimes I have tomatoes that I just don’t know what to do with, and that’s when this recipe comes in handy.
Tomatoes are often overlooked when it comes to actually cooking them. Instead, they’re mostly used in salads and sandwiches. But, don’t underestimate the deliciousness of an oven baked tomato. And an herb crusted on at that.
My dad made this recipe when I was younger so I ate these often growing up, and let me tell you; there’s just something about Italian tomatoes that is just unmatched. Even simply in the color. But that’s besides the point.
This recipe pairs great with a meaty protein or even a pasta dish. These tomatoes even make great appetizers! They’re so simple to make, and you can keep any left over filling in the fridge for the next time you want to make this unique side dish.
Baked Herb Crusted Tomatoes
Tomatoes are often overlooked when it comes to actually cooking them. Instead, they're mostly used in salads and sandwiches. But, don't underestimate the deliciousness of an oven baked tomato. And an herb crusted on at that.
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh parsely, chopped
- 1/2 handful fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumb
- 1 tsp parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place in a baking tin with the flesh facing up. Salt the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine parsley, basil, garlic, panko, and parmesan. Mix well.
- Using a spoon, or your hands, place the herb mixture on the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the herbs are golden brown and the tomatoes are wrinkling. Enjoy!
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!