Egg benedict is truly a classic. And it appears way more difficult to make than it truly is. Let me show you my easy and simple recipe for this old fashioned breakfast dish.
Hollandaise sauce has this huge stigma to it. And you know what I get it, it’s very easy to mess up. But, besides taking a little extra care with your hollandaise and mastering the art of poaching an egg, this is a pretty simple recipe.
Now if you can’t get your hands on English muffins, you can also use a bagel or a roll. And if you can’t find Canadian bacon, you can use regular bacon or even ham. And an easy way to up the flavor in your hollandaise sauce is to add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little kick.
Some tips I have for you are to be very attentive of you hollandaise sauce. First off, make sure to use a double boiler. If you don’t know what that is, it’s simply a large bowl set on top of a pot half filled with water. You cook the hollandaise sauce on the bowl and you want to make sure to do so over low heat so you don’t risk scrambling the eggs. The hollandaise sauce should be just that, a sauce. It should thinly coat a spoon.
And as far as the poached egg, practice makes perfect! Use a large spoon to spin the water in one direction, creating a tornado like effect to the center of the pot. Pouring the egg into the center lets it spin around it self and create a beautiful poached egg. Once your egg is in the water, lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes before removing from water and letting dry on paper towel.
Don’t skip the paper towel step because placing the egg directly on the muffin creates an unpleasant soggy muffin. And who wants that!
If you don’t have any lemon juice, vinegar works as a good replacement in this recipe.
But whatever you do, make sure you have chives on hand to top the egg benedict. It’s a game changer.
Classic Egg Benedict Recipe
- Double boiler
- Large pot
- 3 bowls
- Wooden spoon
- 3 large eggs
- 3 English muffins
- 3 Canadian bacon slices
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- To Taste salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Fill large pot with water and bring to boil.
- Crack 3 eggs into three bowls, making sure not to break the yolk.
- Using a wooden spoon, spin the boiling water and create a strong wave towards clockwise direction in the pot.
- Pour eggs one at a time into the center of spinning water. Remove any excess egg that rises to the surface of the water.
- Reduce to low heat and cook for 3 minutes. Remove eggs from water, sprinkle with salt, and set aside.
- Use a fork to split English muffins in half.
- Toast on pan until both sides are golden brown using spatula to flip. Set aside.
- Cook Canadian bacon on pan over medium heat until crispy on both sides using spatula to flip. Set aside.
- In a double boiler over low heat, whisk egg yolk until it slightly thickens.
- Whisk in butter and lemon juice and mix until combined and thickens enough to coat a spoon
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste and optional cayenne pepper. Serve immediately.
- Start with toasted English muffin, then cooked Canadian bacon, poached egg, and hollandaise sauce.
- Top with fresh chives and enjoy!
- When removing the poached egg from water, place onto paper towel to soak up any excess water. Skipping this step and pacing the egg directly on the muffin creates an unpleasant soggy muffin. And who wants that!
- Take your hollandaise on and off the heat if necessary. This will help avoid scrambling the egg, especially if you’re a beginning with hollandaise.
- Serve hollandaise sauce immediately. It thickens up very quickly and becomes hard to work with.
- If you can’t get your hands on English muffins, you can also use a bagel or a roll.
- If you can’t find Canadian bacon, you can use regular bacon or even ham.
- If you don’t have any lemon juice, vinegar works well as a good replacement.
Thank you for reading my recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!
2 responses to “Classic Egg Benedict Recipe”
Omg! This looks amazing! The picture is amazing! 🙌
Thank you so much🙏🏽