Huevos rancheros isn’t something I necessarily grew up eating, but it’s a unique and delicious take on everyones favorite meal of the day; breakfast! And if you keep up with Break Thru Kitchen at all, then you know Mexican food is my favorite.
And this traditional Mexican breakfast dish doesn’t disappoint! It’s made by topping a freshly fried tortilla with refried beans, a sunny side up fried egg, pico de gallo, and a rich and flavorful rancheros sauce.
Why is it called Huevos Rancheros?
The name huevos rancheros translates to ranchers eggs. It was given this name because it is a traditional mid-morning dish in rural Mexican farms.
And while the farmers stick to the authentic recipe, consisting of eggs, tortillas, beans, and salsa, there are many variations of this dish today.
What do I need to make Huevos Rancheros?
Corn tortilla. The crispy base.
Refried Beans. Gives heartiness and richness to the dish. Find my recipe here.
Eggs. The classic breakfast component.
Pico de Gallo. A fresh, flavorful addition. Find my recipe here.
Rancheros Sauce. Ties it all together.
What can I add to my Huevos Rancheros?
You can add avocado, hot sauce, cheese, lettuce, and so much. I’m giving you the basic recipe today because you will need to master the technique before getting creative.
Want more breakfast recipes?
Huevos Rancheros – Rancheros Sauce Recipe
- Frying pan
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tomato diced
- ½ chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped
- ¼ onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp oregano dried
- ¼ cup water
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 cup frying oil
- 1 corn tortilla
- ¼ cup refried beans
- 1 egg
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- Add oil, tomato, chipotle pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, oregano, and lime to a small pan over low to medium heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until almost all the liquid in the pan evaporates.
- Add water and cook for 5 more minutes, or until all the liquid evaporates. Set aside.
- Add frying oil to a medium pan over low to medium heat. Add corn tortilla to pan and cook until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Add egg to pan and cook until crispy. Set aside.
- Assemble huevos rancheros by topping tortilla with refried beans, the fried egg, pico de gallo, and rancheros sauce. Enjoy!
Thank you for reading my Huevos Rancheros recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!