This chicken fricasse is a French recipe that is so moist and so flavorful and is a minimal recipe, so it requires very few ingredients. I love making it to enjoy a simple elegant meal where the flavors of the individual foods I’m eating are able to shine.
What do I need to make Chicken Fricasse?
- Chicken breast. The star of the show.
- Onion. Adds flavor to the roux.
- Butter. Partner to flour in the roux.
- Flour. Partner to butter in the roux.
- Chicken stock. Creates the sauce.
- Bay leaf. Adds flavor to the sauce.
- Celery. Adds flavor to the sauce.
- Thyme. Adds flavor to the sauce.
- Parsley. Adds flavor to the sauce.
- Egg yolk. Part of liaison.
- Heavy cream. Part of liaison.
- Lemon juice. Enhances flavors of everything involved.
- Salt. Enhances flavors of everything involved.
- Pepper. Enhances flavors of everything involved.
I love eating it with mashed potatoes, especially ones with some extra flavor like garlic, rosemary, or paremsan. I’d also pair this dish with my Sage Honey Glazed Brussel Sprouts and Apple recipe. These Creamy Cucumbers would also be great! Click here to view my sides recipes.
More French Recipes.
Chicken Fricasse Recipe
- Large sauce pan
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 onion small dice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour all-purpose
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece of celery
- 1 handful parsley
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon juiced
- To taste salt
- To taste pepper
- Cut chicken breast into thin fillets and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over low to medium heat. Add chicken and onions and saute lightly so chicken is seared on both sides, but not brown.
- Add flour to pan and carefully stir until the it has all dissolved. Gradually stir in enough chicken stock to cover the chicken and bring to a simmer, while stirring. Add celery, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Cover the pan and reduce to low heat for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked. Combine egg yolk, heavy cream, lemon, salt, and pepper.
- Remove chicken from pan. Cook the sauce until thick and add egg yolk, heavy cream, lemon, salt, and pepper mixture. Simmer until thick and pour sauce over chicken.
- Be sure not to brown the chicken during the searing process. You just want to get the outside of the chicken cooked, but it shouldn’t have much color to it yet.
- Cook on medium to low heat and stir frequently.
Thank you for reading my Chicken Fricasse recipe, if you decide to try it out tag me on instagram @breakthrukitchen. Be sure to subscribe down below to get notified when I post more recipes like this!