Coca-Cola, in partnership with Riot Games, recently launched a new limited-edition flavor known as Coca-Cola Ultimate. This new flavor is an innovative effort by Coca-Cola and Riot Games to appeal to the gaming demographic. The focus of this partnership is largely on players of the globally popular game, League of Legends. Coca-Cola’s goal with this flavor is to capture the feeling of gaining experience points in the game.

The precise flavor profile of Coca-Cola Ultimate remains a secret, adding to the mystery behind the new soda. However, Coca-Cola has provided some insight, suggesting that the drink maintains a strong resemblance to the classic Coca-Cola taste. Approximately 85% to 90% of the flavor profile aligns with the traditional Coke flavor, with the remaining 10% to 15% being an unexpected twist that’s meant to create the sensation of gaining experience points in a video game.

This partnership allows for Coca-Cola to engage with the younger demographic. The company’s Creations platform has previously launched a series of limited-edition flavors, each with a unique theme and designed to engage with youthful interests and experiences.

Notable examples include Starlight, a flavor inspired by space; Dreamworld, a flavor that is reminiscent of dreams; and Byte, a pixel-flavored beverage. These flavors not only stand out for their interesting themes but also for the digital experiences they offer. Through the use of QR codes, consumers can unlock virtual concerts or merchandise, amplifying engagement and consumer interaction with the brand.

The Coca-Cola Ultimate further deepens this level of engagement with its target audience through in-game rewards. Specifically, League of Legends players can earn Ultimate themed emotes by achieving certain goals in the game, effectively merging the virtual gaming experience with the physical act of consuming the beverage. Starting from June 7th and running until July 18th, players can complete missions such as getting seven assists in a single game, earning 12,000 gold in a single game, or winning a game in under 20 minutes to earn these unique emotes.

This partnership not only benefits Coca-Cola’s engagement efforts but also contributes to the growth and visibility of Esports and gaming culture. Historically, Coca-Cola has focused its marketing efforts on more traditional forms of entertainment, particularly the film and television industries. However, this partnership with Riot Games shows a significant shift in Coca-Cola’s strategy.

The gaming industry has grown exponentially over the past decade. It has evolved from a hobbyist pastime to a billion-dollar industry. The rise of Esports, in particular, has brought competitive gaming into mainstream culture. Major tournaments, such as the League of Legends World Championship, attract millions of viewers from around the world, demonstrating the growing influence and reach of the gaming community.

Reviews of the new flavor have started trickling in, with some describing the drink as similar to regular Coca-Cola, but with a subtly different aftertaste. However, the exact taste remains a mystery, as Coca-Cola has chosen to keep the specifics unknown. For those curious to try it out, the limited edition Coke is available in US, Canadian, and other global stores for a limited time.