The combo of sweet chocolate and tart cranberries, spiced up with warm cinnamon and topped with a crunchy, sweet brown sugar crumble, makes this loaf recipe a winter must have.
This chocolate chip cranberry bread is soft and fluffy, and if you bake a loaf on Christmas eve you can set a few slices aside to make a chocolate chip cranberry french toast on Christmas morning. Thank me later.
You know, the coolest part about using these ceramic pans from Larder and Vine’s 8 piece bakeware set? It’s not just about how nothing sticks to them (which is seriously awesome for a non-stick experience). But what really puts a smile on my face is the fact that these pans are totally non-toxic, FDA approved, and free of PFOS, PTFE, and heavy metals.
So, while I’m happily baking away, knowing that my bakeware is not only convenient but also safe and top notch just adds that extra satisfaction to the whole kitchen shindig. Use my code ‘breakthru’ for a 20% discount on your entire order at Larder and Vine.
Ingredients for chocolate chip cranberry bread
Gather these from your pantry for a festive loaf.
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate chunks
How to make chocolate chip cranberry bread
- Preheat oven:
- Set the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare dry and wet ingredients:
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix egg, milk, melted butter, and sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just barely incorporated; a few streaks of flour are okay.
- Gently fold in quartered cranberries and chocolate chunks.
- Transfer to pan and top with crumble:
- Spread the batter evenly in a prepared loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Cut in cold butter until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar crumble on top of the batter.
- Baking and cooling:
- Place the pan in the preheated oven.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow the chocolate chip cranberry bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
While the loaf cools, I like to set it on a trivet for 15 minutes and let all the flavors meld in each other before slicing. These trivets from Larder and Vine are suitable to heat up to 450°F and they’re dishwasher safe so clean up is pretty much nonexistent.
Absolutely! If you’re using frozen cranberries, there’s no need to thaw them before folding them into the batter. Just make sure to quarter them while they’re still frozen to prevent excessive bleeding into the batter.
Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the sugar quantity based on your taste preferences. Keep in mind that cranberries can be tart, so find the right balance to suit your sweetness preference without compromising the overall flavor.
The brown sugar crumble adds a delightful crunch and sweetness to the bread. Skipping it will alter the texture and taste. If you prefer a less sweet or simpler version, you can omit the crumble or try a light dusting of powdered sugar after baking.
Chocolate Chip Cranberry Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf pan
Brown sugar crumble:
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter cold
- ? tsp cinnamon
Chocolate chip cranberry bread:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 8 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, melted butter, and sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just barely incorporated; it's okay if there are a few streaks of flour.
- Gently fold in the quartered cranberries and chocolate chunks until evenly distributed throughout the batter. Transfer the batter to the loaf pan, spreading it evenly.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and cut in cold butter until it is a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle the brown sugar crumble on top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the chocolate chip cranberry bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
- For a smoother batter, ensure that ingredients like eggs, milk, and butter are at room temperature before mixing. This helps with better incorporation and a more even texture.
- When folding in cranberries and chocolate chunks, ensure they are evenly distributed throughout the batter for a balanced flavor in each slice.
- When combining wet and dry ingredients, mix only until they are just incorporated. Overmixing can lead to a denser texture in the final product.