Ravioli is a type of Italian pasta that consists of small square or circular pockets of pasta dough filled with a tasty fillings. This lemon basil ricotta ravioli recipe will show you how to create a delicate, fresh pasta dough and a creamy, aromatic filling.
What makes this ravioli delicious
This ravioli is filled with velvety ricotta cheese mixed with fresh, fragrant herbs like basil and parsley, vibrant lemon zest, tangy lemon juice, and sharp flavors of pecorino romano and parmesan. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and earthy nutmeg, this ravioli recipe is packed with layers of flavor.
What you need to make pasta dough
- Flour. We will be using all-purpose.
- Eggs. Large eggs.
- Salt. Fine sea salt.
- Olive Oil. Extra virgin.
What you need to make the filling
- Ricotta cheese. Whole milk.
- Pecorino Romano. Freshly grated.
- Parmesan. Freshly grated.
- Basil. Fresh and finely chopped.
- Parsley. Fresh and finely chopped.
- Lemon zest. From one whole lemon.
- Lemon juice. From half a lemon.
- Nutmeg. Just a pinch.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make ravioli
To make ravioli, start by assembling the filling with the listed ingredients and setting it aside to firm up. Follow this by preparing the pasta dough using the listed ingredients and rolling out the dough into thin, smooth sheets using a pasta maker or a rolling pin. Next, evenly place small spoonfuls filling and cover the filling with another sheet of dough. Gently press around the filling to seal them tightly and remove any air. Use a circle mold to cut the ravioli into individual pieces and a fork to press the edges and seal the ravioli. Boil them in salted water until they float to the surface, and serve them with your favorite sauce.
The best sauces for the ravioli
I chose to coat my ravioli with a fresh tomato sauce to add a bright flavor to the dish. Another great option for an aromatic sauce is brown butter sage sauce. It adds an additional herbaceous flavor that pairs perfectly with the taste of the filling.
Give this lemon basil ricotta ravioli recipe and treat yourself to a fun and therapeutic cooking experience. After all your hard work, you will even be able to reward yourself with a comforting and delicious meal. Let us know in the comments below how much you loved this recipe, and tag us on instagram @breakthrukitchen so we can see your delicate stuffed ravioli!
Lemon Basil Ricotta Ravioli Recipe
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup pecorino romano
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 10 basil leaves finely chopped
- 10 parsley leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- To taste salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling and place in the fridge to firm up.
- On a flat surface, create a mount of flour and make a hole in the center of the mount.
- Place eggs, salt, and pepper in the hole and mix using a fork.
- Once partially combined, add oil to your fingers and start kneading the dough by hand for 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in a bowl with flour and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Place dough onto floured surface and divide into flour equal parts. Take one part, and press down into a disk.
- Using a pasta maker, run the dough through level 1 three times. Place dough onto floured surface and fold the ends into the center, and then in half into a rectangle. Flatten the dough and run it through level 2 three time followed by level 3 three times. Lastly, run the dough through levels 4, 5, 6, 7 one time. Add flour at any point if the dough feels sticky.
- Place small spoonfuls of filling on one sheet of dough, leaving an inch of space between them.
- Cover with another sheet of dough and press around the filling to seal and remove any air pockets. Use a circle mold to cut out the ravioli and use a fork to gently press down the edges and secure the ravioli.
- Boil the ravioli in salted water until they float to the surface, then drain the cooked ravioli and serve with your favorite sauce. Enjoy!